Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Power Lunch

Steve Kerrigan
Last week, I went out for a sandwich and came back with local star sightings. One particular lunch spot in Charlotte is the hub for bankers, celebrities, and very important businesspeople (VIBs) to order $7 sandwiches. While in line, Steve Kerrigan, CEO of the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, strode past me, flanked by two angular VIBs. Kerrigan and I had met after his luncheon speech a couple of weeks ago. When I said, "Hello Steve," his eyes flickered. He replied, "Hello," either because he was stunned at the random greeting or remembered me. I just hoped he took my concerns to heart that day. His plan for including local businesses in DNC festivities is vital to our community.




John Boyer
After inhaling my chicken pump, I went to a drug store for a typical after sandwich activity: Buying new lipsticks. As I settled on Apricot Fantasy and Champagne on Ice (buy one get the second 50% off!), another powerful executive was paying at the register: John Boyer, President and CEO of the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art, looking elegant with his coiffed gray hair and neat suit. We chatted at an event last fall and he complimented my dress. Today, unfortunately, he left before we could discuss what we bought. I'm sure he would have loved my excellent lipwear choices. The man obviously has great taste.


It's easy to have a power lunch in Charlotte. Everyone can agree on a good sandwich. There's something for everyone at the drug store. You just need to know who you're looking for.

No comments: