Monday, February 27, 2012

The Fabulous Kakapo - Randy Overeaters!

   
I don’t usually play the “What kind of animal are you?” game. Taking a quiz to see whether I’m a ferocious lion or a mole with tiny eyes doesn’t add to my life. Then I read a scathing article in The Daily Mail (is there any other kind?). The article’s writer sounded like a stage mother claiming her daughter is too fat. That’s where I learned about my bird doppelganger, the Kakapo. The female Kakapo is an endangered, flightless bird in New Zealand that likes alone time, becomes randy from overeating, and only gets busy every two years. If someone wanted to interview me about my habits, I would say, “Read this Kakapo article and get back to me.”
    
Our 27th President
WilliamHoward Taft
wants in your pants.
The Kakapo wants to love you...
every two years, baby.
While the mossy green-feathered Kakapo (or “night parrot”) and I would be awesome roommates, Mail paints our fabulous qualities as flaws. The article title smacks of old school imperialism: “Do some animals DESERVE to go extinct? The parrot that can’t fly, mistakes predators for mates and only wants sex every two years.” Geez, why don’t you tell everyone that we don’t wash our hair every day too? Way to make an endangered species feel even more down on itself.

 First off, lady Kakapos don’t always need a roll in the, uh, leaves. Sure, the male Kakapo has urges and gets blocked up (see this video of one getting frisky with a conservationist’s neck), but we have standards. Do you know what a male kakapo looks like? That's right, our 27th President William Howard Taft. Even the BBC reporter in that video describes a male Kakapo as “old-fashioned… with his big sideburns and his Victorian gentleman’s face.” Is that what you want, our 27th president or an old Victorian dude amorously chasing you around? Maybe I’m going to the wrong nightclubs, but if I had a dime for every time this has happened to me…

Overeating, not bushy mustaches, get us in the mood. Mail says, “Conservationists discovered that the more females are fed, the more horny they will become.” Amen to that! But our aphrodiastic can’t be just any food. Kakapos, like me, have specific dietary needs. They eat fruits from the rimu tree, which comes into season once every four years. I’m like that with cherries. They’re a whopping $4.99 per pound during the winter and an affordable $2.99 in the summer. So for one season of the year, I enjoy bowls and bowls of cherries. After I’ve eaten too many, I am guaranteed to make a pass at you. I apologize in advance for spitting red juice on your neck.

Jujubee: Kakapo Pride!
Since only 127 Kakapos exist in the world, there’s more pressure to make babies. Mail says “the chubby, land-bound parrot is so uninterested – and hopeless – at mating.” Maybe that’s because you keep calling them fat. Plus, wouldn’t you be lacking in the bedroom if humans were destroying your house to build a Super Wal-Mart? Kakapos are the original anti-corporation hipsters. They lay their eggs in rotten trees and don’t eat food unless it’s locally-grown. Bohemian-chic seekers pay good money to make their homes resemble the dankness of a forest.

I decided Mail (gasp) was a hater and perhaps (second gasp) not entirely factual. So I did some research. To my delight, “The Fabulous Kakapo” webpage is aptly named with solid, albeit slightly outdated, information. The best of the best, New Zealand’s Department of Conservation website, calls us “an eccentric parrot which can live for decades” and a “unique treasure.” That’s what I’m talking about. We are as beloved as Madonna, Cher, or that fierce drag queen who should have won “RuPaul’s Drag Race” (we will never forget, JuJubee).

It’s not easy being green, especially with Mail ruffling our feathers (my last cheap bird joke). Although 11 bird babies were born in 2011, Kakapos are still critically endangered. We’re not rolling mad deep, but we do have a rotten tree clubhouse stocked with rare fruits. When someone asks, “What kind of animal are you?” you proudly say, “I’m a flightless, endangered bird who will go to town on you after too many nachos!”

No comments: